Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Reality in a Teacup





In a corner on the kitchen counter I have a little white Teacup.  We have odds and ends of pens, sharpies, and pencils there ready to grab and jot down a note or mark a date on a bag of something-or-other headed to the freezer.




This Teacup had been overflowing for a long time, months and months, actually.  A lot of the pens wouldn’t write and the pencils were on the blunt side of dull. I saw it every day and didn’t sort it out.  I had learned which pen to grab and which ones to avoid.  I’d think to myself, “I need to go through that stuff”, but I just didn’t do it.  In my mind it was a job, a task I could put off.  I was being unrealistic. It was an undertaking that was warped in my mind.  In reality it would take only five minutes or so to give a little scribble with each pen, toss the ones that refused to write and to sharpen up those dull pencils.


 

My mind is not always as in touch with reality as I wish it would be. Why wouldn’t I do that Small Thing that would make my life easier almost every single day? 



I’ve noticed that often the way we respond to the little situations in our lives represents the way we respond to the big situations in our lives.  Lately I’ve been impressed by the thought, “The way we live our days is the way we live our lives.”



Are there Big Teacups in my life?  Places and situations I’m not willing to approach and clean out because they look too big, but in Reality it is quite possible.  In the cleaning up I would be freed. 



A Big Teacup will likely take time.  Maybe one pen each day.  Sometimes pens might even jump back in and be dealt with again the next day.  But it is achievable!



I think I’m pretty sure I know what my Big Teacup is.



Do you have some Teacups sitting around?











"Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit," says the LORD Almighty.         
                                                        Zechariah 4:6


1 comment:

  1. So true, Jessica! I love how you are sharing insight from practical everyday happenings in your life : ). I also love that you shared that verse at the end; it goes right along with what I just studied in my "Reading the Bible" class this morning: Proverbs 2:1-6 is about how we are to search for wisdom like we would search for silver or hidden treasure: it takes hard work on our part. However, in the end, "the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." - God is the one who gives the GIFT of wisdom; it's nothing that our hard work alone could acomplish! : ).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...