Monday, December 30, 2013

Alive and Powerful



Twenty Christmases ago I received my first “grown up” Bible.  A lot has happened in those twenty years.  And this little Bible has been there in all of it.  As a young teen, not understanding a lot, but catching glimpses of how alive it is.  As an older teen, wanting so much to find direction for my future.  Through the pain of hard times in relationships.  Through a miscarriage and the beginning of the next frightening pregnancy.  In the midst of intense hurt in a struggling church.  And even now still journeying through Lyme disease.  
 There are verses that are connected in my mind to these certain times of life.  These verses are God’s personal promises to me and I hold them dear!  Many of them are marked, and when I page through my Bible I see them and am reminded of God’s everlasting faithfulness.  Twice I’ve gotten a new Bible, but I always come back to this little green one with my history.  Back to these pages that have felt my tears of guilt, pain, and joy.

In the beginning its cover was dark blue.  When the cover got worn and was tearing, I covered it with piece of green leather cut from a thrift store skirt.  It has been green now for about half its life.  When all the pages came loose in one big chunk, I replaced the fabric at the spine and glued it back together. 



 This Bible has been packed into my gigantic green army bag on lots of canoeing trips, skiing trips, and has spent a summer in Northwestern Ontario in the bush and on Indian reservations.  Mostly though, it has just been on the little table beside my bed or rocking chair.

This Bible has had comfort in my most painful moments, hope when everything seems hopeless, and promise when everything seems so dark.  Mostly though, it has just been constant.  Constant through normal life.  Through the ordinary days. 


These Words of God are True and Alive.  Some days I feel this more than others.  Some days I don’t even pick it up and read.  But no matter where I am or what I am doing, the Author, the Living Word is there, unchanging.  Full of love and redemption, truth and power.





For the word of God is alive and powerful. 
It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit,
 between joint and marrow.
 It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
Hebrews 4:12



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...