This week there’s another gift idea
– and this is one the kids can make!
It will require adult supervision though.
Our family tends to stick with simple and inexpensive gifts for the most part.
This little project fits that thought process.
If you know someone who has a woodstove or fireplace,
this might be something you’d like to make.
Wax drizzled pinecones work great as kindling
and make the fire starting chore a tad bit more pleasant.
All you need is old wax scraps, candle ends, etc., and some pinecones.
(I save all the wax from any old candles in a jar stored in the attic
to have on hand for a time such as this.)
First, find a place to collect pinecones.
(Getting to be outside makes this an even better project!)
(Even though you know she won’t listen,
remind the dog that what you are making is inedible.)
Then heat your wax in some sort of double boiler.
An empty tin can, sitting in a pan of water that’s being heated
on the stove, works great.
You can just throw the can away when you’re done
and won’t have to wash your pan like I did.
Just spread the cones out on a baking sheet
(line it with aluminum foil if you don’t want to clean the pan)
and drizzle them with the melted wax.
Let ‘em cool and you’re done.
If you’re lucky, and used some scented candles, they will even smell nice!
We made these fire starters for the uncles in the family last year.
It’s a great kid-made gift that can be enjoyed and then will be gone.
In other words, it’s not expected to be sitting on a bedroom dresser for years to come.
If you know what I mean. J
"So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone,
and especially to those who are of the household of faith."