Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Seedtime



It’s the time of year when the seed catalogs are piling up!  This morning I was looking through them and getting all excited about the garden for this year.  I always get caught up in all the wonderful descriptions and am especially attracted to the cultural vegetables that sound so unique.  Particularly the Chinese vegetables like Bok Choy and Chinese Cabbage.   I always come up with so many things I’d like to try, and then I have to get in touch with reality and pare it down to a reasonable list.   Last year I grew different hot peppers and hardly used them – but they were so pretty!

(A picture from last year’s garden. 
Makes me ready for summer right now!)



My favorite catalog is from Pinetree Garden Seeds, a small company in Maine.  They are very friendly and helpful and their prices are amazing!  I like the pleasant small business feel they have. 



Another catalog that I am very attracted to is the R. H. Shumway’s catalog.  The old look of their artwork and descriptions just makes you feel so self-sufficient, like an old-time gardener, who knew every detail of what to grow and just when to do it.  I want to buy their stuff just because of the pictures!   And there prices are excellent too.  They have a lot of old heirloom things you can’t buy anywhere else. 
So now I need to call my mamma and talk about what we would like to order.  We always order together to save on shipping.  And we like to talk about what was wonderful last year and what didn’t work so well.  Although, in her garden, nothing seems to do poorly.  Maybe because they have cows, and cows equal fertilizer? 
Happy Thinking-of-Spring to all you fellow gardeners!
"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and
 winter, day and night, shall not cease.”
   Genesis 1:14






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...