Friday, October 20, 2017

Collecting Seeds




It would appear that I’ve taken an unintended summer sabbatical from writing here. 
That may be a good thing. 
It has been one of those summers where you blink, and it’s gone.

For the first time this year this week has had the mood of autumn. 
The undercurrents in the air have become chilly
 even while the sun is hot and tries to convince us that summer is lingering.

We are picking the last of the garden things.
  I savor the flavors, knowing the freshness won’t be the same until next year. 
And in planning for next year, I’ve been collecting seeds from what I can. 


 I usually save seeds from some of my favorite heirloom
 or non-hybrid vegetables and flowers.  
And then there are years when time gets away from me,
 the pods age in the rain,
 and drop their seeds to the ground before I can harvest them.
This year I’m winning against time.


A variety of lettuce seeds.



 Chive seeds in the herb bed.




 Putting a brown bag over a bunch of seed heads and then cutting the stems,
 is an easy way to harvest without losing the mature, dry seeds.  



Simply grip the stems and bag and give them a good shaking. 
(Pretending to play a Maraca is optional.)
  If the seeds aren’t quite dry enough to shake off easily,
 they can dry on the stems in the open bag for a few days.





Sometimes I cut ends of old envelopes to wrap the seeds in. 
This year I just used the bags and wrapped them “butcher” style. 



Here is Cilantro, Radish, a great variety of “Wildflowers” from a friend.
And a “Winter Lettuce” grown from seeds from my grandma’s lettuce
 who had gotten her seeds from a friend who has passed away now. 
Sharing with friends makes gardening special to me.    It creates and gives life to memories. 





“Then God said, ‘Behold, I have given you every plant
 yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, 
and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; 
it shall be food for you.’ ”
Genesis 1:29

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...