Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Value of Play



You know the little reminder boxes that pop up on your computer? 
The ones where you always hit “remind me later”
because you don’t want to read all that stuff? 
That’s what I’m doing now. 
The “School is Almost Here” notification keeps popping up in my brain,
and I hit “remind me later” just as fast as I can.  
Our homeschool starts in three weeks,
but until then I will savor freedom of summer.

What I see from the back door window.

I let the girls play with the past-their-prime garden vegetables,
and they think I gave them the moon! 


Can't you just feel the glorious squish?!


I could almost eat this.  Other than there's a lot of "pepper".

At the beginning of this year’s summer vacation
 I was a little concerned that the “I’m bored” bug might hit. 
The concern wasn’t necessary. 

Play has kept the boredom away.
A grocery store sprung up in our living room.

 I love to see the incredible creativity of children at play. 
And as the hours of school approach
I don’t want to see the time for play disappear,
even though I know it will lessen.  


 I love school.  I love the learning. 
I love the requirements of discipline and hard work. 
I love this thing of learning to keep on going even when it’s drudgery.
This is preparation for life in the real world.

But…  
A mind too full of work and responsibility has no room for creativity.

It’s in the unstructured times that ideas blossom. 
New things are tried.  Failure is bound to happen. 
Fresh attempts are made with a different technique.
These play times are also important preparation for life in the real world. 
Flower lady in her lovely ballgown.


The mamma helped with this play!
 “Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant,
and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well.
 Then youth will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success.”

 -- Lousia May Alcott,  Little Women

My native maidens.



 “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God,
and he will give it to you.
He will not rebuke you for asking.”
James 1:5

2 comments:

  1. Your girls are so cute, Jessica! I really like the Indian photos! Jess was looking at these pictures with me and said "They would be fun to play with!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet they'd love to play with Jess! Maybe they can in a few weeks. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...