Tuesday, March 6, 2012

SNOW




I was planning to post something about spring this week…. but….. yesterday it snowed.  The weather keeps doing flip flops.  One day I’m wearing flip-flops and a couple of days later here’s the snow!  And in a few more days, Mr. Weatherman says we’re looking for 70 degrees again.  But that’s okay with me.  I like both possibilities fine. 

When my girls bring me certain books at bedtime I groan inside.  Then there are other books that never get old.  Some of those are the poetry books for young children.  I thought of the little poem by Marie Louise Allen when I saw our own popcorn-ball boxwood bushes yesterday.



FIRST SNOW
Snow makes whiteness where it falls.
The bushes look like popcorn-balls.
The places where I always play,
Look like somewhere else today.





Thaw
by Eunice Tietjens
The snow is soft,
and how it squashes!
"Galumph, galumph!"
go my galoshes.











Talking in Their Sleep by Edith M. Thomas
"You think I am dead,"
The apple tree said,
"Because I have never a leaf to show-
Because I stoop,
And my branches droop,
And the dull gray mosses over me grow!

But I'm still alive in trunk and shoot;
The buds of next May
I fold away-
But I pity the withered grass at my root."

"You think I am dead,"
The quick grass said,
"Because I have parted with stem and blade!
But under the ground,
I am safe and sound
With the snow's thick blanket over me laid.

I'm all alive, and ready to shoot,
Should the spring of the year
Come dancing here-
But I pity the flower without branch or root."

"You think I am dead,"
A soft voice said,
"Because not a branch or root I own.
I never have died,
but close I hide
In a plumy seed that the wind has sown.

Patient I wait through the long winter hours;
You will see me again-
I shall laugh at you then,
Out of the eyes of a hundred flowers.









“You will show me the path of life: in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.” Psalms 16:11






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...